Taking Tylenol makes sleepy. Suggest alternative?

Wanted to know if there is some pill I can take instead of Tylenol 4. It makes me sleepy. About the same strength but not the tiredness. Thank you
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the tiredness is due to the codeine

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tylenol 4 is a combination of acetaminophen 300mg and codeine 60 mg. The drowsiness is related to codeine which is in the opiate family.
All opiates have this potential side effect which would increase as the dose of the opiate increases.

You can either consider using tylenol 3 which has in 30 mg of codeine which should produce less drowsiness and add another pain killer from a different family of drugs such as NSAIDS (celebrex,arcoxia, naproxen, ketoprofen) or anticonvulsants.
Anti convulsants are used for pain treatment particular nerve related pain or neuralgia. They may also help with pain relief.
Some may also cause some drowsiness however.

Opiates are some of the stronger pain killers but all of them can cause drowsiness.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions