Taking Tribet 1 for diabetes and also taking Nebicard for BP. Tribet is not available. Suggest?

I am taking Tribet 1 for last 2 years for diabetic morning 7 evening. my value of suger is 100 PP & 130 after food. also taking Nebicard 5 for BP for last 5 years. BP value 135.
Now Tribet 1 is not available in mkt, please advice new medicin
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Tribet is three in one drug. There are three active oral hypoglycemic drugs - glimepride, metformin and pioglitazone.

Recently there have been some recent negative reports about pioglitazone. Hence many countries including India have banned this drug. Perhaps this may be the reason why you are unable to obtain Tribet 1mg.

Since your sugars are well controlled, perhaps you may try drugs containing only glimepride and metformin. Amaryl M, Gluconorm, Glyciphage, Gemer and Glycomet are few well known brands containing those 2 drugs. The dose of the new drug can be altered as per your subsequent sugar levels. Discuss with your doctor to redirect your treatment.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Taking Tribet 1 for diabetes and also taking Nebicard for BP. Tribet is not available. Suggest? 4 hours later

Thanks for you comments, could you suggest me a name of medicine which I can take immediately as I am out of station and cannot consult a doctor immediately but can in next week.

Request you to name the medicine today only. I was taking Glycomet but unable to control the sugar level earlier then doctor recommend Tribet 1.

You may also contact me oj phone no. if mail not possible.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 15 minutes later

The danger behind oral hypoglycemic drugs is the chances of hypoglycemia. As a physician we are more worried about patients developing low sugar than uncontrolled sugars. If you have no means to contact your treating doctor (even by a phone call) and have no access to healthcare at your current location, the best suggestion would be to take your previous medication - Glycomet.

Watch out for dizziness, sweating, blurring of vision and feeling of impending doom. Keep a XXXXXXX of sugar/chocolate with you always.

You can XXXXXXX your treating doctor with blood sugar levels and continue the rest of medications.

Hope this information helps you in this desperate time. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best Regards