Taking Thyronorm for hypothyroid. High TSH levels after childbirth. Is it dangerous?

Jan 2013

Hello Doctor,

I have Hypothyroid since last 1.5 years and have been on constant medication - Thyronorm. I delivered a baby 6 months back. TSH levels shot up during pregnancy and were brought under control with 125mcg dosage. After childbirth, my TSH levels haven't stabilised. 2 months back with 12.5mcg, it showed 27 μg/dL. Dosage was then increased by my doctor to 50mcg. Today, when I took TFT again, levels have shot up to 74.26 μg/dL.

Are such levels dangerous? I feel quite normal. Though I am a little overweight at 72 Kg.

Please advise.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 50 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, it can be concluded that you are suffering from partially controlled hypothyroidism.
Thyroid hormone is in control of Anterior pituitary gland in brain by means of TSH.
Increasing TSH level shows partially treated hypothyroidism.

Thyroid hormone supplements should not be considered as medicines and it is generally given to fulfill the deficiency as body is not able to synthesize.

Treatment of Hypothyroidism is decided by TSH level.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ endocrinologist and should go for thorough check up.
You have to go for repeat thyroid profile at regular interval under guidance of your treating doctor.
Dosage for an individual is decided by titration with TSH level done at regular interval.
As you were using 125 micro gram L-thyroxine during pregnancy, there could be possibility of requirement of higher dosage of same medication after delivery.

You should also go for Anti-TPO antibodies.
As such there is long list defined for dietary restriction in case of hypothyroidism; but you should avoid cauliflower, cabbage, capsicum, broccoli and lettuce.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava