Taking Thyronorm for Hypothyroid. Got high TSH. Reason?

Dear Doctor,
I had been diagnosed with Hypothyroid & have been on medication since past 2 yrs.
I have been taking Thyronorm 50 mcg one daily in the morning.
I regularly get my TSH tested after every 3 months. TSH levels have been normal after medication in the past. Yesterday I got my TSH checked & it was 6.83. I have been taking my medicines regularly. Should I be consulting my Physician for change of medication now? What could be the reasons for raised TSH level?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 20 hours later
Hello madam

welcome to healthcare magic. I do understand that you are a 34 year old female on treatment for hypothyroidism for past 2 years with 50mcg of thyroxine. Your concern seems to related to your TSH levels.

Primary Hypothyroidism is a condition where you have low functioning thyroid gland and it is biochemically reflected as increased TSH and low or normal T3 and T4. The aim of treatment is to supplement adequate dose of thyroxine so as to maintain your TSH to normal levels.

Your TSH of 6.83 suggests that your dose is inadequate and you would require increase in dose of thyroxine to 75mcg in consultation with your physician.