Taking Tegrital and Altracid for trigeminal neuralgia. Want complete pain relief

Nov 2013

Hello Sir,

Hope you are doing good.

My mother is suffering from Right Trigeminal Neuralgia from last two years.

She was prescribed and has been taking following medicine from last two years:

Tegrital--- 1000 mg daily

from last 20 days she is suffering from severe pain and not getting relief from it.So doctor prescribed :

Tegrital--- 1100 mg daily

Altracid--- 02 times a day

Still she is not getting relief from the pain completely.Few doctors advised surgery for the same.

Sir i would like to take appointment of yours and want to get the advise.

Could you please suggest your contact number and time to contact.

With great hope waiting for your response.

Thanks in anticipation.

+91 0000
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic for your mother's problem.
Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is a chronic painful condition and is quite troublesome for the patient. Your mother has suffered from TN for the past two years.
The cause of TN in your mother's case seems to be compression of the right trigeminal nerve due to a blood vessel.
Treatment for TN is with medications in the initial period. However, some people either do not improve or have side effects with medications. Your mother has not improved despite being on high dose of tegrital and ultracet. There are a few other medicines such as pregabalin and gabapentin. However, she may not improve with them too.
For those people who do not respond well to medications, treatment options include surgery and radio-frequency ablation (radiation/laser).
I would be pleased to evaluate your mother to decide the best treatment for her. We have facilities for surgery and RF ablation if required.
Please get back if you require any additional information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Taking Tegrital and Altracid for trigeminal neuralgia. Want complete pain relief 9 minutes later
Hello Sir,

Thanks for prompt reply.
I would like to show my mother to you.Do you visit Mumbai or Indore?
Otherwise would like to get the appointment of you in Hyderabad.

I have one query:
-few Dr's said that after RF ablation the body portion/part in which this nerve is present gets num/inactive.Is it true?

Please suggest.

Can i get you contact number and good time to consult you.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for getting back.
I do not visit Mumbai or Indore. So, I can see her at Hyderabad. My consultation days are Mon to Sat between 11.30 am and 5.30 pm.
As other doctors said, RF ablation may lead to numbness over face.
Regarding talking to me on phone, please write to Healthcare magic.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM