Taking Sodium Valporate. Apart from blood test, is there any other way to check the SGPT, SGOT level?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I am on Sodium Valporate 600 mg daily.How shall I know that my SGPT/SGOT has increased besides blood test.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 20 minutes later

There is nothing but the blood test which can detect raised SGOT and SGPT levels.

SGOT and SGPT are enzymes produced by the liver cells or hepatocytes and released into the blood stream. Their levels are increased only when the liver cells do not function optimally.

The alteration in their levels is the earliest sign of liver dysfunction. If the dysfunction continues to be untreated then other investigations like haematological, radiological or biopsy will reveal abnormalities.

I hope this answers your query. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries.

With regards