Taking Simvastatin and Ramipril. Stomach cramps, yellow diarrhea, stomach ache. Is it due to medication?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi I'm currently taking simvastatin 20mg x1 daily and ramipril 2.5mg x1 daily. I have been on this medication for 4 days . The first night I had a stomach cramp and I had yellow diarrohea 4 times during the night and it went away . Last night I went to bed and I had chronic stomach ache for 5 hours before I finally had yellow diarrohea again 5 times and the cramps went and I fell asleep. Today during the day I have had stomach cramps again . I went to the toilet and had yellow diarrohea just once . I'm now in bed but my stomach feels heavy yet again. Do you think the tablets i'm taking could be the cause of this ?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 7 hours later

Yes, the symptoms you have developed are side effects of the medications you have started.

Abdominal pain, diarrhoea, indigestion, and a general feeling of weakness are a few of the common side effects of Simvastatin. Some rare Simvastatin side effects include joint pain, memory loss, and muscle cramps.

I would suggest you to contact your physician and inform him about these side effects.

With regards