Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed azax, no relief. Any advice?

Good

Question
I have a bad throat . Which was painful so i have been taking SN-15 since last 2 days . Yesterday i had trouble as my voice was getting heavier and In audible . I have difficulty in speaking so i started on AZAX 500 . I have taken 2 tablets one yesterday and one today . I still find no improvement . Please advice
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 27 minutes later
Hi

It seems that you have infection on vocal cords. It is called laryngitis. Usually it is viral. Therefore, antibiotics do not help. Most common non-infectious cause is a reflux of stomach contents into respiratory tract.

The treatment consists of voice rest, vapor breathing, cough syrup for decongestion, and anti-allergics like loratidine, Naproxen for relief of pain and a trial of antibiotics according to the other respiratory symptoms or for laryngitis alone.
In your case, antibiotics are having no effect, as the cause is probably non-bacterial.

It takes a few days for viral infection to subside. If the symptoms do not resolve over time, then Otolaryngology consultation should be undertaken to rule out other causes.

I hope I addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj

Follow-up: Taking SN-15 for bad throat. Having speaking difficulty. Prescribed azax, no relief. Any advice? 1 hour later
Please suggest the decongestion syrup names also
Please also advice on the dosage of Napprosyn. I have taken one tablet just now . I am also starting with Syrup Grilinctus . Recomended dosage will be appriciated

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 hours later
Hi again.

The recommended dose for Naprosyn (Naproxen tablets) is 250 mg to 500 mg twice a day. Start with the lower dose and you may gradually increase it. Take it only if required.

The dose for Grilinctus syrup is 1-2 tsp three or four times day.

Usually cold and cough preparations are taken only as required and should be discontinued upon relief of symptoms.

Hope I helped. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj

Dear Dr Vaishalee
Thanks a lot for your expert advice . My voice has become better from yesterday to today about 20% relief is already observed . Thanks once again .
I will like to let you know that i feel extremly drowsy and sleepy and i have swelling all over my face and eyes which i assume is due to Water retension after taking Naprosyn . Please advice

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 minutes later

It is good to know that your voice is getting better.
Naproxen can cause edema. You may stop taking it.
How is the pain in throat now? You can take an alternative after discussing with your local doctor if you have pain now.

Drowsiness and sleepiness can be caused by the cough medicines. It is better to take these medicines only if required. Drowsiness can also be due to the ongoing infection.
These symptoms will resolve as you recover from the infection.

Let me know if I can assist you further

Dr Vaishalee Punj