Taking Ritalin. Having anxiety attack. How to check copper level?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi how are you? I was on Ritalin for like a month and it made me have anxiety attacks and an stuttering that won't go away even though i'm off the drug. I know Ritalin works by reducing the absorption of copper. how can I check my copper levels? i'm afraid my family doctor might not if ask him since it's not a common deficiency. are there any accurate home test kits for copper? thanks bye.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 22 hours later

I am good and hope the same for you.

You have mentioned that you are on Ritalin for a month and you feel that you have had anxiety attacks ever since you started with the drug.

I would advice to see your treating doctor and report him/ her the symptoms that you are experiencing.
A modification in the dose may be required.
Since, you have mentioned that you have had a history of heart failure, more caution is needed.

Ritalin is not known to interfere with copper metabolism in the body.
However, if you still want to know the blood copper levels, then you can go for serum copper levels and 24 hour copper levels in blood.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.
Do visit your treating doctor to review the dose of the drug Ritalin.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal