Taking Risperdone to lessen psychotic relapse possibility. Increased lactose levels. Alternate medication?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am taking Risperdone 3mg twice daily to lessen the possibilty of a pyschotic relapse I am due to stop taking the medication in November. Rispirdone can increase the lactose levels and I was calledfrom the surgery, to say that mine was very high, I am a male.
I want to keep taking medication until November so what alternative are there? A different sort of medication and or/steroids perhaps, please let me know.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Risperidone tablets contain lactose as an excipient content so it does cause an increase in lactose levels in the blood.

There are many other metabolic side effects too, like increased prolactin levels causing gynaecomastia in males, increased tendency to cause diabetes, liver and renal toxicity etc.

Since you are presently asymptomatic, intend to stop the drug in November and are having a dose related metabolic side effect, it would be advisable to taper or decrease the dose of risperidone and continue monitoring. If the levels respond appropriately to the decreased dose then your doctor may continue tapering gradually over many months, and finally withdraw the drug in November.

The newer antipsychotic medications like olanzapine , ziprasidone and quetiapine can be used as alternatives however each has its own side effects too.

Steroids are not indicated at present and do have many metabolic sideeffects themselves including hyperglycemia.

Olanzapine too can cause hyperglycemia so either quetiapine or ziprasidone depending on your
doctors prescription accordingto your clinical history and examination might be started.

I would advise you discuss it with your therapist before stopping the drug or starting any new one as risperidone can cause withdrawal symptoms if stopped abruptly.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if you have no further queries.