Taking Rhinatiol for cold. Effect of wine on this medicine?

I am in hungary on a business trip.i had a cold.they recomended me Rhinatiol cold (3 times a day. i started taking rhinatiol cold today... i had two glasses of red wine for dinner.are there any side effects?
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
Are you missing one 'h' in naming the drug in your question?
From online resources I found Rhinathiol (Tradename) is: Xylometazoline (Generic Name)
Xylometazoline nasal is a decongestant. It works by constricting (shrinking) blood vessels (veins and arteries) in the body. The nasal formulation acts directly on the blood vessels in the nasal tissues. Constriction of the blood vessels in the nose and sinuses leads to a decrease in congestion. No significant side effects.
Cardiologists recommend restricting wine to one glass of red wine a day but for 39 year old young man with no medical history once a while crossing that limit is perfectly alright.
The only precaution I would suggest is please do not drive yourself while you are taking the drug for cold. You can use a cab or public transport.

There seems to be no problem to me in taking this medicine and continuing with your business trip outside your own country

I hope that answers your question. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW