Taking Regestrone and Glycomet for PCOS. Is Regestrone a birth control pill?

Hello Doctor;

I have been advised to take Regestrone 5mg tablet thrice a day for 20 days along with Glycomet 500 mg to treat my PCOS..I dont want a baby right now. I have been told that its a safe period to have sex during this tenure and so i have thrice unprotect sex with my husband while i was on this medication.
My query is:
Is Regerstrone a birth control pill ??
Is it safe to have intercourse during that period without any protection ?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
For PCOS, the glycomet is prescribed to increase sensitivity to insulin and to decrease the weight gain associated with PCOD. Regesterone is a hormonal tablet which has been given to regularize your periods. This is not a contraceptive pill but if taken all throughout the cycle decreases the chances of ovulation and thus pregnancy.
Doing unprotected intercourse has lesser chances of conception but it is best to use a regular contraceptive pill which has a better protection.
Ovatar tablets are used to induce ovulation and to increase your chances of conception. You should not take these tablets if you are not planning for a pregnancy now.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.