Taking Quetiapine before sleeping. Have weight gain. Can I switch to different medicine? Also taking Ritalin, Efexor

Since one month i have been on 50 mg quetiapine before i go to sleep and it really helps.
I cant stand the sudden weight gain though. Is there another med i can switch to?
I'm also on ritalin,lergigan,gabapentine,efexor and have been for a number of years. My doctor prescribed queteapine to help me fall to sleep which i always had trouble with
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Thanks for your query. Quetiapine is a new generation antipsychotic that in low doses can induce sleep. However, that is not the primary purpose or action of this drug. I would suggest you discuss with your psychiatrist to shift from quetiapine to benzodiazepines like clonazepam in low dose whose primary action is sleep. Indeed quetiapine is associated with weight gain and increase in quetiapine levels. Also considering multiple drugs you are on, benzodiazepines would be better. Do clarify further if required.
Dr Sundar