Taking Prothiaden and Piracetam. How and when can I stop? Any withdrawal symptoms?

Nov 2013

Please direct this question to Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Neurologist who has answered my question earlier.

Thanks for your prescription. I have been taking Prothiaden 25 mg once daily and Piracetam 1200 mg twice daily since the last time I contacted you, and I am feeling better now. Though I believe there is still some scope for improving my concentration, but definitely I see significant improvement.

My question is now regarding when and how to stop this medication, without an withdrawal symptoms and effects. Please let me know how long I should continue to take these medicines and how I should stop these.

Thanks for your help.

Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My replies are below.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

It is good to note that you are feeling better now.

Regarding medications, both are safe medications, and are not associated with any significant side effects. Nootropil (piracetam) can be used for long time, in your case, at least three months would be required.
Regarding Prothiaden, we will use for about six weeks (total) and then depending on your improvement, we will decide to stop or reduce it.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Taking Prothiaden and Piracetam. How and when can I stop? Any withdrawal symptoms? 13 hours later
Thanks Doctor. So would you suggest me to get back to you after using Prothiaden for 6 weeks, which means about 3-4 weeks from now? In that case, I would close this discussion for now and get back to you at that time.

Please advise.

Another question I wanted to ask you. I have been getting severe acidity problem, generally extreme during the evening times. When I take PPI's like Pantoprazole, then the problem subsides to some extent.

I do not know if these are related. If you think they are, please advise accordingly, or I will consult a gastroenterologist.

Also I hope neither of Prothiaden or Piracetam has interactions with PPI medications.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My replies are below.

Detailed Answer:
Acidity problem is not related to neuro problem, so, they are unrelated. You can consult a gastroenterologist for that.

PPIs like pantoprozole do not interact with Prothiaden and piracetam.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)