Taking Prednisone and Avalox for sinus infection. What is the standard dosing of Prednisone?

What is the standard dosing of Prednisone for severe sinusitis. I have always had to use it with my sinus infection along with Avalox (antibiotic) plus the neti pot for drainage help. My ENT is out of town and I never saved my last office note and dosage from last year. I still have on and off fever with severe headache. I am a nurse and I have to get the headache under control so I can go back to work and take care of my twins. I was diagnosed on Monday by PCP but he didn't know the proper dosing and referred he to my EMP. Help with dosing please
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...A short course of PREDNISOLONE called as prednisolone burst can be employed to reduce the inflammation of nasal mucosa and help in drainage and headache.
Detailed answer...
Although there is not a fixed protocol for the steroid therapy and different doctors use different dosage but the standard dose which is mostly used and is also used by me in my practice is...
60 mg daily as single dose for 3 days and then
40 mg daily as single dose for 3 days and then
20 mg daily for 3 days ..
10 mg daily for 3 days..
5 mg daily for 3 days.
Carry on with your other associated treatments like antibiotics,neti pot,hot liquids and hot soups and tea,coffee etc.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck