Taking Prednisone 20 mg. Developed red and sore rash on abdomen. Side effect?

Sep 2012

I'm taking Prednisone 20 mg. I am down to two per day on a 12 day regimine that began with four per day. Today I developed a nasty red and sore rash on my abdomen. Should I stop taking the prednisone now?
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 23 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description indicates some possibilities – allergic reaction to prednisolone / viral infection / skin disease.

But, in our clinical experience, very rarely we found a patient with allergy to prednisolone. So chance of this possibility is very low. But it can occur. For confirmation, you need a clinical examination.

Viral infection has very high chance. When you are taking prednisolone, the immunity power becomes very low. In this situation, the viral or bacterial infections may get activated. So, it has to be confirmed by clinical examination.

Skin disease, solely due to prednisolone is very rare.

So, a clinical examination is very important and only this can differentiate these possibilities. So, consult with your treating doctor immediately. If your treating doctor is not available, you can visit general physician or go to the Emergency department of a hospital.

Decision of termination of prednisolone course depends solely on your treating doctor. The benefit of the drug should be judged against its bad effects like you are having right now. So, for this, you have to consult with your treating doctor.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.