Taking Pilocarpine for Sjogren's syndrome. Have dry eyes, peripheral neuropathy. Should I get married?

Question
i have been taking pilocarpine for dry mouth for sjogren's syndrome since about 1998. I stopped progression of dental caries. My rheumatologist has been trying to switch me to evoxac and says this will help with dry eyes also, and that my dry eyes are a serious problem (I know it can be). But info on evoxac really stresses its effect on salivary glands, not tears. Should I pay $300/mo for evoxac? My prescription plan won't cover it, even though it is now generic. They are covering pilocarpine.

Also have peripheral neuropathy, an few episodes of iritis, several surgeries for stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger). I am on an anti-inflammatory diet (which helps with joint pain a great deal), but I do have other typical symptoms of Sjogren's (frequent nighttime urination, for example). 90% of Sjogren's patients are women!

At 58, with this history, would you be concerned about getting married and possibly having one child (I have no children but a fiancee who is 28)...
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 3 hours later
Thank you for your query.

Sjogren's syndrome is a disease of female preponderance.
But it is your bad luck that you are suffering from it.

Evoxac is a new drug for dry mouth.
It stimulates the salivary gland to secrete saliva.
But its effect on lacrimal gland is not clear.
It has some side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive sweating, rash, difficulty sleeping, blurred vision etc.

You can use lachrymal substitute such as hypromellose during day & more viscous lubricating ointment at night for dry eye.

Artificial saliva & oral gel can be used for dry mouth.
Sugar free chewing gum or lozenges may be helpful to stimulate salivary gland.

Sterility is not a recognized feature of this disease. And male has no age limitation for having child.

I hope I have some help for your query.
Please write if you have any doubt.