Taking Penedure penicillin injection for elephant leg. Painful. Suggest better antibiotic

hello sir,
10 years back my mother suffered with elephant led. doctor given medications to stop growing the leg missile .
and he advised to take PENEDURE 25 lakh every month for life time. my mother taking the penicillin for every month.
the problem is PENEDURE penicillin is very painful, so please suggest a better antibiotic for elephant leg.
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

From your description and the photograph enclosed I understand that your mother is suffering from Filariasis or also called Elephantiasis. Kindly confirm this as the treatment of Filariasis is not penicillin injection.

In the best interest of your mother it is advisable to review her case with your physician and then reconsider the medicines to be given to her.

Wishing your mother a pain free period ahead