Taking Pantocid for H.pylori infection and stomach erosion but getting loose motion. Is it normal?

Jun 2015

hi, i have found h.pylori infection and stomach erosion after endoscopy. I was feeling gastric problem since long and was not feeling hungry. I just used to eat forcibly. I am taking now Pantocid HP, but i am getting a kind of loose motion some time. Should i really worry and ask to doctor again.
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Gastroenteritis Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Thanks for your query. Frequent loose motions can be attributed to Gastroenteritis, which is usually viral in origin. However, bacterial cause can be suspected if there is associated pain abdomen, fever, vomiting, etc. The reason for concern with loose motions is the loss of body water & electrolytes, which has to be replenished with fluids & ORS. In case bacterial infection is suspected, I usually treat my patients with: 1. Combination of Norfloxacin+Tinidazole tablets twice a day. 2. Dicyclomine+Paracetamol preparations twice a day. So, kindly consult your treating Physician and get a prescription for the medications. Till then, have a soft, non-spicy diet & maintain adequate hydration status. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Wish you good health & a speedy recovery. Take care.
Follow-up: Taking Pantocid for H.pylori infection and stomach erosion but getting loose motion. Is it normal? 12 minutes later
Thanks for answer, there seems some confusion. Let me rephrase it. I had gastric problem. I did an endoscopy. The report had h.pylori rut positive. Doctor presvribed me medicine pantocid up. Which is combination of Clarithromycine and amoxillin and before food I take pantoprazole. I am having now loose motion 3-4 time in a day and night. Should I worry about medicine side effect. Should I revisit doctor. It's just 3 days after medicine. The motion problem started from 2nd day.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Side effects of the medications Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your follow up query. 1. The components present in your medication that is Clarithromycin & Amoxicillin are known to cause to cause Gastrointestinal side effects like diarrhea / loose motion. 2. In your post you have mentioned that your symptoms have started from the 2nd day after intake of medications. Keeping in mind the above mentioned facts, your symptoms can be attributed to side effects of the medications. Usually these side effects are mild, well tolerated & subside on its own without any treatment. However, if they persist beyond 5-6 days or associated with other symptoms like pain abdomen, blood or mucus in stool, vomiting, etc. then it will be better to consult your treating Physician for change of medication or modification of dosage. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.