Taking Oxylite pro and Jack 3d as work out supplementation, on anxiety medication. Can I take all these together?

Hi I've started taking the workout supplement OxyElite Pro but I also take Ativan for anxiety. I was wondering if there could be any complications if I take both. I'm 22, 5'7 about 170 and female. I dont have any sort of history with any other medications
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 16 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation at right time.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 22 years old female
• Known case of anxiety on Ativan
• Worry related to interaction of OxyElite with Ativan

First, I want to address your anxiety. You are already receiving Ativan which contain Lorazepam to relieve anxiety. But Ativan is used only for short duration to control anxiety (usually less than 1 month), so discuss with your physician about the duration of treatment with Ativan and about long term management of anxiety with other medicine if needed, depending on your condition. If you are taking Ativan without physician advice then there is risk of being addicted on Ativan.

OxyElite has a following ingredients:
- 100mg caffeine per capsule
- Bauhinia Purpurea L.
- Bacopa Monniera (Leaf)
- 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (Geranium)
- Cirsium Oligophyllum
- Rauwolscine

Each has different benefits such as increased metabolism, thyroid enhancing, mood elevation, suppressed appetite, and subcutaneious fat burning.

With these information it is clear that OxyElite can increase your anxiety by following means:
- Effect on thyroid hormone: increase T3 level
- Presence of caffeine

Although there is no direct interaction between OxyElite and Ativan but consider above facts before starting OxyElite and discuss these facts with your physician.

Anyway following information will help you in decision making:

• Get thyroid hormonal assay before starting OxyElite.
• If your anxiety symptoms are well control for more than 1 month than you can use OxyElite. If not then postpone its use.
• Discuss about long term management of anxiety with physician without using Ativan with your physician.

Final message to you: worry less and consider above information in final decision making.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Follow-up: Taking Oxylite pro and Jack 3d as work out supplementation, on anxiety medication. Can I take all these together? 3 hours later
Thank you doctor. I stupidily forgot to mention that along with the oxyelite pro, I'm also taking jack3d. Both around the same time before my workout. Some trainers say its okay, others say it's too many stimulants. Could I have your take on it?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
Hello again,

Jack3d contains: Arginine Alpha-Ketoglutarate, Creatine Monohydrate, Beta Alanine, Caffeine, 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (Geranium [Stem]), Schizandrol A

Caffeine is associated with few side effects:-
1. Excess caffeine can lead restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, and irregular or rapid heart beat and anxiety.
2. It is also addictive. If you use it every day, you may be addicted.

If you’re obese or have mental disorders, you should stay away from large doses of caffeine, and thus, probably shouldn’t be using Jack3d

As for as other contents - there are no standard study done, so it is difficult to get full information regarding its content. If your anxiety symptoms developed or aggravated by these supplements than you should definitely avoid them.

In my personal view you should avoid these supplement because of following reasons:
- Presence of anxiety.
- Already on anti anxiety treatment.
- Above supplements does not have good scientific base for their usefulness and their ingredient known to increase anxiety.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. I thank you again for the query.

Wish you good health.