Taking Oxetol for seizures. Done ECG. Should I not have children till I am cured?

Nov 2013

Hello Doctor,
I'm suffering from seizures from 10months.
Started with 300mg now having 450 mg oxetol tablet twice a day.

EGG 1st report : Summary : Background activity predominantly consists of alphaAlpha fetoproteinactivity which is bilaterally symmetrical and synchronous.
Brief left frontotemporal slowing/sharp waves noted on a few occasions.Generalised Sharp waves noted on a couple of occasions.HV and PS are unremarkable

EGG 2ND REPORT : Background activity predominantly consists of alphaAlpha fetoproteinactivity which is bilaterally symmetrical and synchronous.
Brief generalised sharp transientsTransient ischemic attack (tia)
Transient ischemic attacknoted on a couple of occasions.left frontotemporal slowing noted on a couple of occasions.HV and PS are unremarkable.

I'm 23 doctor said i should not go for kids till the time i'm taking medicines.

Please can you suggest if the seizure is severe and there is no way i can get kids till i'm cured.
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.
You are suffering from epilepsy, as per both the EEG reports. The type of epilepsy is generalized with few focal discharges also.
Regarding the severity of epilepsy, it depends on the number of fits that you have. If once gets very frequent fits, say once a week, it could be called a severe epilepsy. On the other hand, if someone gets only occasional fits, say once in 3-4 months, epilepsy may not be severe.
Regarding pregnancy while taking medicines for epilepsy- all anti-epileptic drugs increase the risk of malformations in the baby. However, some drugs such as sodium valproate has the highest risk. Other drugs such as oxetol, lamotrigine and keppra have lower risk on pregnancy and babies. Therefore, one can go for kids even while being on anti-epileptic drugs; though the risk of malformations may be slightly higher. It should be noted that more than 95% of babies would be normal if one takes the safer medicines along with folic acid supplementation.
Please get back if you have more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad