Taking Nurontin, Estratest, Topamax, Flexeril & Cymbalta. Is it oaky to take Tramadol? Safe?

I am currently taking 150 mg of Nucynta every 12 hrs. Is it ok to take Tramadol wile taking Nucynta? I am currently on 5BP meds, Nurontin, Estratest, Topamax, Flexeril & Cymbalta.. Thanks & look forward to your response..
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 3 hours later
Thanks for your query,
your list of drugs constitutes analgesics and muscle relaxants along with anxiolytics. You are adequately being treated for your musculoskeletal problem and related neuropathy.
Regarding nucynta and tramadol, let me tell you that both are a class of opioid analgesic (pain killers) acting on mu receptor. Though there is no harm in taking these but I don't think there will be too much added benefit. Moreover these are habit forming drugs especially nucynta, so better avoid them. Take only when needed. You may try physiotherapy under guidance....
Best wishes.....

Follow-up: Taking Nurontin, Estratest, Topamax, Flexeril & Cymbalta. Is it oaky to take Tramadol? Safe? 39 minutes later
Thank you so much for the quick & caring response, Dr. Choubey....If I may, one other ?....I am not taking Tramadol, had just wondered if ok to add to my meds...beginning to think have built up tolerance to Nucynta. I had also wondered about either sleep apnea, heart or respiratory system. I had my Cervical fusion surgery & when time cam to wake me up, nurses were not able to bring me back to full alert stage. My vitals were all low, BP, pulse & oxygen were very low(which is very unusual for me) & I could not wake up. I ended up staying an extra 4 days in the hospital for this, but never received an explanation as to why this may have happened. Once my O2 levels were at a minimum level, I was released. My spouse states I do snore & sometimes it sounds as if I have quit breathing. Could that have been part of the problem? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 8 hours later
Thanks for follow up,
Post operative state has its own physiology and why such thing occurred to you will be revealed by going through your operation notes.
Now coming to your next problem regarding snoring. snoring is an essential symptom of obstructive sleep apnoea and may occur in obese post menopausal women. There will be fragmented sleep at night and day will have frequent naps and dozing.
I wish if you could go for polysomnography study readily available at sleep labs. If it is discovered, will be relieved by applying a simple machine CPAP at night via face mask.....

Thanks and best wishes