Taking Norco after TKR surgery. Have pain in knee cap and leg. Help

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
yes, I am 67, and had tkr on left side on March 27, 1213. Had alot of pain but after phy. therapy things were pretty
good but about 4 weeks later I couldn't stay in bed at night. I have been on Norgo since surgery. Start with meds. in late afternoon. Pain is in knee cap and down front of leg. Also very toughee at night. Get up and go to recliner to
slept. Dr took pictures, then fuilded off knee ( no infection) complete bone scan and MRI. Sent be to Spine unit
then on for injection. Injection told be he didn/t think it would help. He was right. Help
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 51 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that you have severe pain, interfering with sleep and daily routine.

It is good to note that the pain is not connected to TKR, and there is no infection in the fluid analysis.

The pain seems to be neuropathic and nerve related, as it starts at knee and goes down the leg. In this situation, medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin would help. For more severe pain, tramadol may be used for the first few weeks.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Taking Norco after TKR surgery. Have pain in knee cap and leg. Help 30 minutes later
Thank you for help. Will check into seeing a Neurologist. Never thought to add that I had a ceveral fusion several years ago and I am still taking l Lyrica and l Cymbalta each day. Maybe it would help to increase the Lyrica by l each day? Any suggestions would help.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Thank you for getting back and providing more information.

I agree with you that increasing the dose of pregabalin (lyrica) would help in reducing your pain.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Taking Norco after TKR surgery. Have pain in knee cap and leg. Help 19 minutes later
Thanks, I will start with increasing by 1 tonight. Sure hope it helps, getting
tired of sleepless nights!

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Thank you and best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)