Taking Nexium and Zyrtek for cough. Dilated pupils. Doctor feels cough related to anxiety. Is it related to medicines?

I am 20 year old. At the present I am taking nexium and zyrtek for chronic cough (1 1/2 year) and last weeek I noticed a very dialated pupils that do not go away. Is it related to these medicines? also my doctor thinks that the cough is related to my anxiaty but no meds were given to treat that aspect. Please help me to understand what is going on
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

For a better understanding of your symptoms I would like to ask you few details:-
-Is the cough continuous or occasionally severe?
-Do you have any problems like regurgitation,burning in stomach and esophagus?
-Since your doctor has said cough could be related to anxiety what are your symptoms of anxiety?
-Did these medicine help to control or stop your cough?
-As the cough has been for quite a long time did you undergo any investigations?

Chronic cough lasting for year and half could be due to GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disorder) / allergy. Nexium (Esomeprazole) a proton pump inhibitor is used to treat gastric ulcers, increased acidity and GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disorder). Zyrtec is a antihistaminic useful against seasonal allergies, rhinitis and other allergic conditions. Both these drugs are associated with a few side effects such as dryness of the mouth, nose and throat; drowsiness; urinary retention; problems in vision like blurred vision; confusion; hyperactivity; loss of sleep; nausea; tiredness; stomach; headache; muscle cramps and so on.

Dilated pupils could have been part of the side effects of zyretec. Discussing with your treating doctor might help you in modifying your medications.

Please write these details to answer your query better.

Awaiting your reply.

Take care and Regards