Taking Naturolax for constipation. Side effects?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I AM TAKING NATUROLAX POWDER FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS DUE TO CONSTIPATION. IS IT HARMFUL. I AM TAKING ONE TEA SPOON DAILY. WITHOUT THIS NATUROLAX I FIND VERY DIFFICULT. PLEASE SUGGEST ANY SIDE EFFECTS ARE THERE. I AM ALSO OVER WEIGHT 120 KGS.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 22 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Naturolax is Physsilium husk a plant product that is XXXXXXX in fibre content. It passes undigested into the large intestine where the normal colonic bacteria break it down to short chain fatty acids (SCFA).

The SCFA increase the luminal osmolarity and it draws water into the colon. This increases the fecal bulk and aids expulsion. It also provides nutrition to colonic cells and promotes growth of good bacteria. It also slows absorption of glucose and reduces cholestrol level.

As it is a plant product, it is very safe but can hinder absorption of any drugs or multivitamins taken along.

Hence it is very safe and just space the other tablets from it by atleast 1 hr.

Hope, this helps to solve your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Dr XXXXXXX