Taking Motrin 800mg for severe leg pain. Had SI joint fusion. What is causing this pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had severe left leg pain for almost 2 years. It wakes me up after I have been sleeping for about 6 hours. The whole left leg throbs and is a dull ache. Motrin 800mg last for about 6 hours. I had a left SI joint fusion back on 7.24.12. I was told that the SI joint was only 1/2 my problem but no one can tell me why my leg hurts so bad. I have been checked for blood clots but not my knee, ankle or foot. Could all of this pain be coming from knee, ankle or foot. It is hard to tell where the pain starts because it is the whole leg mainly above my knee
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
A throbbing leg pain which wakes you from the sleep is likely to be due to-
1. Nerve root syndromes- Compression of the nerve root at the level of spinal cord due to disc herniation. An MRI of spine will help in diagnosis.
2.Peripheral neuropathy- This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc.Chronic illnesses like alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiencies may also result in nerve pain that often affects both legs. There are some illnesses that cause leg weakness that may be associated with complaints of leg pain, like Guillain-Barré syndrome and multiple sclerosis.
3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.
4. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.
All the above causes can be ruled out by your physician after some tests and examination.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.