Taking Microgestin, eyes are dry and unbearable to eye drops, hair loss with bloating and gas. Suggest?

Mar 2016

I just began taking Microgestin Fe 1/20. I am almost done with my first week of pills and I am disgusted. My eyes are so dry it is unbearable even when I put eye drops in ! I am having lots of scalp hair loss and then I am having the expected bloating and gas. I feel like a mess. Will these symptoms go away? Do you recommend that I try to change to a different pill? If so which one? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Wait For This Month & Change If Symptoms Persist.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Followings are my response regarding your queries:

1) Above clinical features are mostly associated with the adverse drug reaction of Microgestin Fe 1/20 and more specifically due to androgenic progesterone (Norethindrone- 1st Generation) as composition. It is more common among first time pill user & above symptoms are gradually overcome with the adjustment of body hormones.

In addition, you must use some back up method like condom for the first month to get highest effectiveness against unwanted pregnancy.

2) You need to wait for one month & check whether symptoms persist or not. If it remains same or gradually increases, you have to change the contraceptive pill. For this, you must consult with your gynecologist and proceed one health check up.

3) In such case, I prefer less androgenic low dose combined OCP which contains either desogestrel or norgestimate (3rd Generation) or drospirenone (4th Generation) as progesterone ingredient along with ethinyl estradiol. Some available brands are MERCILON, SPRINTEC etc. Kindly, procure a prescription from your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen