Taking Metosartan 50 for high blood pressure. Can it cause erection problem?

hello doctor,
Iam 45 years old, 69kgs, height 5'3"
recently because of high blood pressure my doctor prescribed METOSARTAN 50 ONCE A DAY. I HAVE BEEN TAKING THAT SINCE LAST 10 DAYS.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 54 minutes later
Hello Shreesai,

Thanks for posting the query.

As you might be knowing METOSARTAN contains Metoprolol and Telmisartan.

Telmisartan is not responsible for your problem, Metoprolol in certain cases causes sexual distress, which is more common in males.

As you have started the drug recently, i.e. since 10 days as you have mentioned, with the passage of time this symptoms will reduce.

If the symptom persists even after few days kindly consult the Physician.

Hope I have answered all your questions. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Taking Metosartan 50 for high blood pressure. Can it cause erection problem? 20 hours later
Dear Doctor,

For erection problem what I should do.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 23 hours later

Thanks for coming back

Erection problem should disappear in 20 - 25 days, if persists kindly consult the prescribing doctor for switching over to other anti hypertensive drugs.

I think it should disappear within month.

Hope I have helped you.