Taking Metoprolol. Does smoking interact with this medication?

i am taking metoprolol 25mg daily in morning for a month. i am a smoker, usually smoke 4 or 5 cigaretttes. will the medication cause any interaction with the smoke.i am trying to quit smoking actually.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

I am glad you're trying to quit smoking. Although metoprolol has no direct interaction with smoking, it is possible that smoking may directly impact the condition you're taking this medication for.
I'll be able to help you better once you let me know the reason for taking metoprolol.

Follow-up: Taking Metoprolol. Does smoking interact with this medication? 2 hours later
dear doctor i am taking metoprolol for what my cardiologist says as 'anxiety disorder'. i have been through ecg, echo, blood profiles, chest x XXXXXXX everything was normal. the news about the death of a known person of mine about 6 months ago triggered these nasty panic attacks. first i went to a psychiatrist, he gave me nexito and told that i have to take it for 6 months.i took it only for 10 days because i was fearful of the sexual side effects an ssri carries.then i went to a cardiologist. he ruled out problems with my heart and prescribed me metoprolol and daxid. i told my doc that i wont take daxid.he was fine with it and said me to continue only metoprolol till my anxiety supresses..
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It has been shown that nicotine in cigarettes increases the blood pressure, heart rate and stress levels. Thus it could be a contributory factor in your anxiety.

I would suggest that you continue your efforts to quit smoking and keep up the good work.

Hope I have provided you with useful information. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.