Taking Metoprolol. Can I smoke Marijuana while taking this medication?

Question
i am taking 25mg of metoprolol and am wondering if I can smoke marijuana wwhile taking it
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 minutes later

Metoprolol and Marijuana(cannabis) both have actions such that they which nullify one another.

If the indication for which you are taking Metoprolol is serious then I would say taking Marijuana in any way is not safe.

Also most of the side effects caused by both are similar and can add up if.The side effects of each can be aggravated by the other.

Do take care,

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Taking Metoprolol. Can I smoke Marijuana while taking this medication? 1 hour later
So that is a no.Iam a little confused by the side effects that are adding up? What does that exactly mean. I don't smoke regularly I just want to be sure if I do i will be safe

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 22 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Some of the side effects caused by the metoprolol and Marijuana are same and concomitant use of both can aggravate the severity of the symptoms.

There is no much danger in smoking rarely say once in 2 weeks , if frequently it could be a threat.

Wish you good health.