Taking Methylphenidate. Got a new bottle containing tablets with same color and shaped differently. What to do?

My son has been taking Methylphenidate 54mg for years and I know what the pills look like and how they are extended release. We just his bottle in and these look a bit different they are the same color but shaped differently so I cut one in half and the inside looks like a regular pill not extended release.
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 30 minutes later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

It may be possible that bottle has been mistakenly taken or given by chemist inadvertently.

Extended release tablets will loose its property when cut into two.

There are dosage and side effect differences of immediate release and extended release preparations so you should no use this bottle without confirming about it.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have additional query.