Taking Methadone for pain of sacroiliac lesion and torn muscle on hip joint. Can it cause weight gain?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I've been taking Methadone for chronic, excruciating pain for a sacroiliac lesion & torn muscles that have affected my hip joint, which is also very painful. QUESTION: Does Methadone cause weight gain and/or water retention or edema in the feet & ankles? Before I was on the drug, I weighed about 115 lbs. & wore a size 4-6. Now I can't button jeans that are a size 10!!!
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Yes,it definitely causes weight gain as almost every opiat. this is known side effect which most of people experience, although some people can react by losing weight so it may be individual.
Water retention and swollen ankles on the other side are not usual side effect of methadone,but it has also been reported. So your weight is more probably caused by weight gain,not water retention because water retention would lead to some other symptoms such as breathing difficulties,heart palpitation and it would have phases of water accumulation and improvement.
Of course,if you think that there is water retention,you should rule out heart and kidney disease first.
Second: methadone is potent drug but it has many side effects and the dosage should be carefully determined by pain specialist.Always try to use as less methadone as possible as lately it may become inefficient and addiction may develop.Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards