Taking Metformina for polycystic ovaries, gained weight, trembling and tiredness. What should I do?

I had been taking 1 pill every morning of metformina (Glucophage 850mg) for 3 years. Recommended by the doctor, I have polycystic ovaries and had gain 25 pounds. Two nights ago I started trembling for 20 minutes at 2am It went away and I felt tired. Last night I started trembling (woke me up) at 2am and lasted almost 45 minutes. I am worried what is happening to me. In my last blood tests 2 weeks ago my insulin and blood sugar levels were ok, but amylase was 279. I would like to know what should I do? I am worried and it is sunday, I am at Sn XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Taking Metformina for polycystic ovaries, gained weight, trembling and tiredness. What should I do? 10 minutes later
my tracking number10K0000HX0000A Hope you can answer today, I would like to know if I should go to a Hospital and get my sugar levels, keep taking the Glucophage, stop taking it, or take more. I am worried please help
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 11 hours later
For emergency problems, you should call your doctor's office or 911.

As far as the question of whether or not your symptoms related to metformin, the only way to know what your glucose levels are is to do a fingerstick check using test strips and a glucose monitor. It will give a fair idea of whether your levels are high or low. Low blood sugar is extremely uncommon as a side effect of metformin. If your blood glucose is high and out of control then you should be seeking urgent care anyhow. Even your amylase levels require formal evaluation in a systematic manner.

In general, metformin is best started with a low dose like 250 mg and then gradually escalated by 250 mg at weekly intervals. Doing so pre-empts some of its known side effects like diarrhea and 'ill-feeling'.
Follow-up: Taking Metformina for polycystic ovaries, gained weight, trembling and tiredness. What should I do? 26 minutes later
Do you have any idea why I get this trembling sensation only at 2am the last 2 days? That is what concerns me the most because I have never felt that way before (only when I had fever) but I did not had fever, I checked out and was a little lower than normal. I normally have a low blood pressure. Nothing hurts, I only feel cold and can not stop trembling for 30 minutes or so.

I already bought the glucose monitor and I am going to start checking it.

I do not live in San XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I am here for the summer and I would like to know if you can recommend me a good endocrinologist in San XXXXXXX Texas?

I would like to have a doctor checking me tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 48 minutes later
WWW.WWWW.WW has a 'Find an Endocrinologist' feature on its homepage to help you locate one.

I am sorry I dont have an answer for your symptoms unless a blood glucose readings is below 70 mg/dl or greater than 200 mg/dl.

Regardless, any acute conditions are best dealt with my in-person encounters with medical teams rather than online consultations. So I strongly recommend you address your current situation with your healthcare provider.