Taking Metformin, have diabetes. Irritable bowel after taking insulin and metformin. How to control it?

dear doctor im 45 years old and have diabetes ,its heriditery in my family,im having it past 8rs,initially i was put on metformin and advised walking,i was having irritable bowl once i started using metformin,though i thought i will get used i always had this bowl problem whenever i had metformin,so i have been using it not on regular basis,then my doc suggested me to go for insulin,first i had lantus then later on changed it to humalog insulin,i hve 20units morning and 14 units nightime,it has moderate cntol onmy sugar level,its generally about 240 to 260md 2 hours after food,when i start taking some metformin along with insulin control is better but im fed up going to toilets frequntly during the cousre,so i have been taking only insulin and doing light cardio exercises 3 4 times a week,kindly suggest me some good combination of medicines along with insulin to control my diabetes than you
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 3 hours later

In your regime it is preferable to add one oral hypoglycemic drug which doesn’t elevate insulin level as you already on insulin sop if we add another insulin secretors then high risk of hypoglycemia .So we have to add one oral hypoglycemic drug which will improve insulin resistance. Among these drugs metformin is the best, but as you don’t tolerate it you can use either Acarbose or Exenatide.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly