Taking Metformin for diabetes. Having bitter taste in mouth. Side effects of medicine?

Question
DOES METFORMIN CAUSE BITTER TASTE > I AM TAKING THIS DRUG FOR DIABETES TYPE II-I HAVE A BITTER TASTE IN MY MOUTH FOR AT LEAST TWO MONTHS. ALL MY FOOD TASTES BITTER, THE DOCTOR SAID IT WILL EVENTUALLY DISAPPEAR
MY NAME IS DIETER KLAGGE MY E-MAIL IS : YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Omer 26 minutes later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query.

As you have said that you have started to take metformin and now feeling bitter taste in mouth.

metformin is famous to cause due to less absorption of B12 from stomach and causes Gastritis , meaning stomach erosions.

These erosions in turn cause change of tongue taste papillae , and hence you get this bitter taste at the back of tongue.

Metformin also cause increase gastric fluid reflux during night when you are sleep , the acidic fluid goes up the mouth at the back of tongue , another cause of bitter taste.

Besides this different formulation of metformin also cause change in mouth taste.

I would recommend to test your Vitamin B12 level , change the brand ( different company ) + stomach coaters at night before going to bed like omeprazole , but you need to see a doctor for all this.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask any further questions.