Taking Metformin and Throxine for PCOS. Have vitamin D deficiency. Partner has oligoasthenospermia. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2013
I am 26 and my husband is 31. I am diagonsed with PCOS for past 3 years and am on Metformin and throxine tablets. Also I am diagosed with VIt-D defiency. My husband has been recently doagonsed with mild Oligoasthenospermia. What are my chances to get Pregnant ??? What should be the treatment ???
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 38 minutes later
Firstly, you should go for the following steps -
1. Complete assessment of PCOS - namely Day 2 FSH and LH, AMH, serum prolactin, TSH, free T4, DHEAS, serum free testosterone, oral glucose tolerance test, basic pelvic transvaginal ultrasound, fasting serum insulin, C peptide.
2. Continue Metformin and Eltroxin if prescribed by your doctor.
3. Continue Vitamin D supplementation, and have your levels rechecked after 8 weeks, generally they will be within normal range and you can stop taking the tablets.
4. Maintain an ideal BMI, as weight loss, dietary modification and lifestyle changes in the form of regular exercise are the main aspects that impact PCOS positively.
5. Consult an Infertility specialist in your city. Have complete PCOS assessment plus basic workup like blood group, screening for pelvic infections, etc. After that please go for a cycle of follicular monitoring, where your ovulation status will be documented. Women with PCOS often have difficulty in ovulation. If you do not ovulate normally, you might require the help of ovulation inducing agents like Clomiphene Citrate. On clomiphene, more than 80 % of women ovulate in response, and more than 50 % conceive with 3 to 4 cycles. Hence, your chances of pregnancy are quite good, provided you are regular in treatment.
6. Also, oligoasthenospermia on your husband's side needs to be treated. You should consult a Uro XXXXXXX and have detailed evaluation of your husband. Physical examination, hormonal assay, ultrasound if required - there are various causes of OAT ( oligoasthenospermia ) and most of them are treatable. Proper treatment needs to be started, and then repeat semen analysis after 3 months should be done.
7. If there is no improvement in OAT, then you should go for ART ( assisted reproductive techniques ) to help you. With mild problems in semen count, IUI ( intrauterine insemination ) gives excellent results, which can be combined with your stimulation with clomiphene citrate. For severe male partner problems , IVF or ICSI can be done.
8. AFter 3 cycles of clomiphene therapy, with normal count of your husband, if you fail to conceive, then you should go for assessment of the patency of your fallopian tubes. This is best done by a hysterolaparoscopy.
Hence, the treatment is quite extensive and elaborate, but you should not lose hope as you both are quite young, and with proper medications, you can definitely concieve.
Please feel free to ask for any clarifications.
All the best.
Follow-up: Taking Metformin and Throxine for PCOS. Have vitamin D deficiency. Partner has oligoasthenospermia. Chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
I have bigtime problem loosing weight. I am 5.4' with 80 kg of weight. though people tell me that i look toned down but I don't see a deflection in the weighing needle.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Your BMI just exceeds 30, placing you definitely in the overweight category, just on the threshold of obesity.
You definitely need to lose weight, as it will improve the symptoms of PCOS drastically.
Focus on a structured exercise regime tailored to suit your body. Get in touch with a personal fitness trainer, and spare atleast 45 minutes for exercises 5 days a week.
Consult a Nutrition Therapist and have a diet regime made for you, consuming no more than 1200 - 1500 calories per day ( 1200 if you have a sedentary lifestyle ).
Avoid saturated fats, oils, sugar, salt, greasy food.
Stick to protein ( dal, egg white, steamed chicken, fish , nuts ), homemade fresh food, fruits, lots of green leafy vegetables and plenty of fluids.
Metformin also aids in weight loss.