Taking Meroprolol Tartrate, Omeprazole, atorvastatin calcium and Plavix after strokes. Any side effect?

My husband has had two small strokes (TIA) and is currently in the hospital with possibly a third. The first stroke was July 4 of this year. Really close together can't figure out why. Meds: are Meroprolol Tartrate 50mg, Omeprazole 50 mg, atorvastatin calcium 40mg and Plavix 75mg. Plavix was added when he had the 2nd stroke (Sept 23, 2013) but my husband feels his stomach can't tolerate it just like he couldn't tolerate the baby aspirin. He's told the Dr.s he wants to change and he may start on Effient. He does have a stent in artery of his heart put in 7 yrs ago. Why can't he stay on 81mg of baby aspirin with a anti-nausea medicine for his stomach.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No issues, no worries with respect to the change,

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is true that Plavix and baby Aspirin both have the same roles in patients with risk factors of stroke, or who have developed stroke.

If he can tolerate baby Aspirin at 81mg, its fine. Being intolerant to Plavix should be discussed with his doctor. I do think it poses no problems changing from Plavix to baby Aspirin. Protecting the stomach with Omeprazole, eating regularly are important to reduce stomach disorders that might arise from consuming baby Aspirin.

To me, I think its ok. It is however worthwhile to discuss with his doctor. Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns.

Bain LE, MD