Taking Mebeverine for cramps. Have irritable bowel syndrome. Does this cause infertility?

I have been taking mebeverine tablet for spasm .cramp pain for nearly three yaers but i only take when i get the upset of the cramp and spasm but want to know if it can cause infertility in a woman who takes it for relief of iritable bowel syndrom.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

Mebeverine belongs to a group of medicines called as musculotropic antispasmodics. It acts directly on gut muscles and relaxes them.
Common side effects include allergic reactions like urticaria or maculopapular rash. It has not been shown to cause infertility in woman.
This drug is also safe in pregnancy provided it is taken in limited amounts.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow up queries.

Warm regards.