Taking Losartan Potassium concerned with Hyperkalemia, switching to Hawthorn with diet and exercise. Right medication?

Question
I am taking Losartan Potassium 50 mg, but I'm concerned with Hyperkalemia, and I was contemplating switching over to Hawthorn and some serious diet and exercise.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I can reassure you that with losartan hyperkalemia is very rare and reversible and treatable and Hawthorne has no evidence behind it for lowering blood pressure safely and effectively wears losartan does.

Diet and exercise is beneficial and will help you, however few blood pressure is not controlled under 140/90 without the medication, I would recommend taking it. Have a great day.

Follow-up: Taking Losartan Potassium concerned with Hyperkalemia, switching to Hawthorn with diet and exercise. Right medication? 1 hour later
Would Hawthorne be a bad thing to take while on the Losartan? I read where it may lower BP too much, depending on the type of BP drug.

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 2 hours later
You can take it with the losartan. If your blood pressure drops too much, you will get lightheaded, but otherwise it should not be a problem.

Follow-up: Taking Losartan Potassium concerned with Hyperkalemia, switching to Hawthorn with diet and exercise. Right medication? 2 days later
I fear that my BP is dropping too low while I sleep, is this due to the Losartan, and is this reversible?

Answered by Dr. Andy Fine 5 hours later

You must check it to know; it is unlikely. It is reversible if so, with lowered dose.