Taking Lithium, tegretol for bi-polar disorder. Neck surgery done. Prescribed prednisolone. Any interactions between these drugs?

Question
Hi, I'm currently taking Lithium,EfexorXR,Tegretol for bi-polar disorder. I've just had surgery on my neck and have been prescribed Prednisolone. Will there be problems with drug interaction? I'm only to take 30mg a day for 2 weeks but is it safe?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for consulting us.
Prednisolone ( a steroid ) may aggravate the symptoms of psychosis and emotional instability, so, patients with these conditions should be monitored for increased or worsening symptoms during corticosteroid therapy & you may need an adjustment of your dose during your steroid therapy.
In addition prednisolone has some rare neurological side effects like convulsions, increased intracranial pressure with papilledema, vertigo, headache etc.
I recommend you to discuss this issue with your treating psychiatrist as he/ she has more insight into your problem & can give you the best advise in your case.
Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Taking Lithium, tegretol for bi-polar disorder. Neck surgery done. Prescribed prednisolone. Any interactions between these drugs? 20 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help! I will call my psychiatrist and make sure the necessary steps are taken. Thanks again for your advice. Kindest regards!

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 22 hours later
You are always welcome here with all your questions.