Taking Lisinopril for blood presure. Lost weight. Should I continue medicines?

I have been taking lisinopril for a year for high blood pressure. I know have changed my eating habits and lost 30 pounds is there a possibility I could stop or not need the medicine
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Guru 38 minutes later

Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Some misconceptions are widespread regarding Hypertension that it can be cured and a person need not take scheduled drugs when they attend to lifestyle factors like exercise and diet strictly. Hypertension can only be managed but cannot be cured once perfectly diagnosed.

The change in eating habits and weight loss definitely help in reduction of blood pressure. But it is not possible that you can stop getting treatment. Before considering change in treatment plan, lot of factors need to be considered. These include target organ damage, cardiovascular risk which depends on other things like smoking history associated conditions like diabetes etc. Moreover, serial BP readings have to be taken.

Today’s research indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation. I suggest you to discuss elaborately with your treating doctor as well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further. If you are satisfied please proceed with closing and rating this answer.

Wish you a good health!