Taking Lipitor for many years. Noticed significant fatigue, tiredness, sleepiness and soreness in back. What should I do?

I have been taking Lipitor for many years without any problems. Recently I have been bothered by significant fatigue, sleepiness and soreness in my back and tired achey muscles especially my thigh muscles making walking difficult Balance has become markedly worse. Is it possible to develop these symptoms after taking Lipitor for a long time? If so, and I stop the Rx, how soon might I expect a recovery. I am a retired pediatrician.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Welcome to XXXXXXX ..

It is evident that you have side effects of statin (Lipitor). Concerning of those is muscle soreness and lower limb proximal muscle weakness. If possible, check your creatinine kinase levels. A high value of CPK will need close monitoring and specific treatment, perhaps at a medical centre.

To answer your queries specifically,

1. Yes, your symptoms especially fatigue, sore back and muscular weakness are definitely associated with 'long term' Lipitor use. Sleepiness may have developed in response to fatigability and weakness.

2. I absolutely think you need to be off Lipitor immediately. The only known treatment of statin induced myopathy is stopping the drug. You would also benefit from using CoQ10 supplements. I am unsure if your country allows self-prescription, you can discuss with your treating doctor.

I will be glad to discuss your further if needed.

Good luck doctor!!