Taking Lipitor, Lyrica, Ibuprofen, Lovaza and Levothyroxine. What pill should I take for ED?

what pill should i use for ED. i take lipotor,lyrica,ibuprofen,lovaza and levothyroxine. had problem for about two years and tried several over the counter pills but not satisfied.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Erectile dysfunction can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

Psychological causes: These include performance anxiety, emotional weakness, inferiority complex, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not.

Physical causes: Most common cause in older patients. Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases.

What I can understand from your query is that you are not able to sustain hard erection which is required for intercourse. You are 54 years of age with problem of high cholesterol and at this age, any difficulty in getting or maintain an erection is more likely physical causes in most of the cases. I hope you are not taking any alcohol or smoking as sometimes these can also cause erectile dysfunction.

We need to rule out certain medical conditions. These include diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or hormonal problem, poor circulation, penile venous incompetency and neurological causes. For that comprehensive evaluation and tests, help of other specialists may also needed.

The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is Sildenafil (Viagra) or Tadalafil (Megalis), which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting. It is important to rule out medical conditions specially related to cardiovascular system before starting such treatment. Both of these medicines have excellent result in physical causes of erectile dysfunction.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you:
-First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any)
-indulge in physical exercise and eat a healthy diet
-Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress.
-Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise.
-Maintain lipid profile and thyroid hormone within normal limit with existing treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.