Taking Lexapro for anxiety and depression. Diagnosed with depression. Any side effect of this medicine?

I have been taking 10g Lexapro for the past few years. I was prescribed it for anxiety and depression as my husband had developed dementia (he has now passed away) and I was diagnosed with breast cancer from which I have made a full recovery. My problem is a numb feeling and I find I cannot cry although I have had much to cry about. I feel that crying would be such a relief to me and I wonder if this could be a side effect of the Lexapro. Perhaps you could advise me.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 16 minutes later
hi there, thanks for asking. It is true that this medication and also other medications from the class of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors can dull the emotions. It is not harmful for a person if she cannot cry. Also it is not useful to cry a lot. If somebody wants that her medication is decreased, she should participate talk sessions and she will be able to guide her emotions in a right way. I agree that you need to have a normal grief about your husband that has passed away, and it is a good time to go for talk sessions. Let me know if you have any other question. I wish you a good health.