Taking Levothyroxine. What would be the effect?

Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I have a question to ask you right away: Have you been diagnosed as having hypothyroidism? This is because your medical history is listed as none!

If the answer is YES, then this drug is going to affect the system as listed. It often takes time to figure out the exact dose that works for you. So if it proves insufficient or too much for your system initially, appropriate dose adjustments would be made to get what works best for you. The response to treatment is evaluated by monitoring your symptoms and measuring TSH levels. Symptoms start getting better within 2weeks.

If the answer is NO, then I would like you to tell me more information as to why you are taking the drug. I will actually discourage its use if there is no formal diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

I hope this answers your query. If there is information you would have loved that i have not provided, please ask follow up questions and I will be glad to address them. I wish you a good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD