Taking Levothroxine. Does it lead to lung cancer?

Levothroxine taken currently & for the past 20 + yrs. New info says lung cancer a side effect. What should I take now?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The dosage of Levothyroxine is important

Detailed Answer:

Yes, you are right that there is a possible lung cancer as a side effect to Levothyroxine use. However, it is worth noting that at appropriate dosage, this is not caused.

Only when use of levothyroxine is higher than the actual dosage required, does it cause lung cancer.

All brands of Levothyroxine would have this effect.

What you should take now? - You should take the same drug. However, in the right dosage required for you.

You need to get regular checks of your TSH levels done for this, say every 6 months.

I hope it is clear to you. Let me know if you have more queries.