Taking Lamictal, Topamax, Clonazepam for bipolar disorder. Have photosensitivity. Reason?

I was diagnosed with bi-polar 1 disorder about 7 years ago. I've been on Lamital 300mg, Topamax 100mg twice daily during that period. I also take Clonazepam 1-2 tablet twice a day as needed (which is not every day or week for that matter). During the course of the I was put on different meds but they all seemed to have adverse affects on my moods. This combination seems to have worked the best. Well starting last year in August I started becoming mildly sensitive to sunlight. I now have to put on a strong sunscreen on and wear a hat when I go outside. It hasn't gotten to a point where I'm getting blisters, but I looked it up and some articles said that Lamictal could be the cause. I when I talked to my doctor about this she was a little puzzled since I had been on this combination for some years. Is it possible that after all this time my meds could be causing this photosensitivity. And if so will it progress? Sorry to get off topic but when I hit 16 years of age I became allergic to foods that I had eaten all my life. For example bananas, cantaloup, honey dew, avocados just to state a food. Even though I was not on meds at the time, could the photosensitivity be connective to my sudden allergies that I had experience as a teenager?
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting for query.
I have gone through your query in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Coming to your question proper:
1) Yes it is possible to have dermatological complications with lamotrigene (Lametal, lametec, lamitor etc)
2) Even if you have not had allergy to the medications, before, some times allergy does appear even after many years.
3) Your sensitivity to allergens in adolescent age, suggests that you are routinely allergic and that increases the chances of developing adverse drug reaction.
You can continue the topiramate and instead of lamotrigine other options are Valproate, divalproex, quetiapine, lithium, carbamazepine, oxcarbamazepine.
Probably you can discuss the alternatives with your treating doctor who can provide you with a prescription for the same.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.