Taking Kuff-Q and cough syrup for persistent coughing. Due to elongated uvula?

Does uvula cause cough?
HI, My name is XXXX. I am suffering from lot of cough since a week. I used KUFF-Q tablets and two cough syrups but I don’t have any relief. I can feel some strange sensation(pain, very little) if I put my hand on my thought.
I remember I get cough(followed by mild fiver) every year or so (not so regular). I remember last time I consulted a doctor, even after taking prescribed medicine it took long time (may be more than 15 days) to go.
My mother is saying I am getting cough because of elongated uvula, it goes to normal size if Cashew nutshell liquid is applied to it.
Does uvula gets longer sometimes normally, does it cause severe cough, is it safe to do such thing(applying Cashew nutshell liquid), please advise me?
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Cough can have many causes. In your case it seems to be seasonal allergic or asthmatic type.

Uvula may get inflamed due to infection, etc and get larger. It wont get larger normally. It may block the airways and thus produce cough. But I do not think it is safe to apply Cashew nut shell oil inside the mouth though it can be applied out-side, on the skin. The reason is that it is an extract and may contain harmful chemicals. Another reason is that it is not backed by enough research.

My advise would be as follows:

1. Take the cough suppressants only when cough is present.
2. May get the sputum examined for a local infection.
3. Get vaccinated for DPT, if not already immunized during childhood.
4. Take fruits and vegetables atleast 5 times a day to boost immunity. Exercise daily for 20 min. Take hygienic food and pure drinking water.
5. Try to figure out a trigger if present and stay away from it.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee