Taking Junel Fe. Is it ok to have upprotected sex on reminder pills?

Im taking Junel Fe 1.5/30-I took the pill every day around the same time for the 3 weeks active pills (around that time I still have sex with a condom)-I took the fourth week of pills reminder week-got my period on the second day-kept using the reminder pills and when my period was finished I had sex (unprotected but was still on the reminder pills) I never missed a pill-took as directed never miss the reminder pills. Is it ok to have sex on the reminder pills unprotected--i dont remember how many days after my period
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in to us.

As per information in your query, you are on Junel Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone) which is a combination contraceptive pill.

The 28 day birth control pack contains seven "reminder" pills to keep you on your regular cycle. Your period will usually begin while you are using these reminder pills.

Considering you started your periods while taking reminder pills, and assuming that your periods lasted for 3 days, chance of pregnancy to occur is almost nil.
However if this was the first month that you took Junel Fe 1.5/30 then the hormones in your body would not have got balanced completely.

While one can have unprotected sex anytime once you are on regular pills including reminder ones (from second month onwards), very rarely, pregnancy may occur due to contraceptive failure but this is very unlikely to happen with you. Please do not worry.

Hope your query is answered.
Best wishes

Dr A Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Taking Junel Fe. Is it ok to have upprotected sex on reminder pills? 43 minutes later
So I have nothing to worry about? When I got the pills my doctor told me to wait a month but also said even after 2 weeks I could still have sex without a condom. Also on the insert of the pill pack-said that after 7 days its possible to have sex without a condom.
Im really starting to worry that I might get pregnant because your telling me that the pill has not got balanced in my system. I dont understand if my doctor told me it was ok after 2 weeks the package said its ok after 7 days-but I took the pills straight for 3 weeks took the reminder pills and think but im not certain but I might have been on my last reminder pill when I had unprotected sex and then the next day I was back on active pills.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing in with a quick update.

You have absolutely no reason to worry.

1. The package insert has mentioned that its ok after 7 days.
2. Your doctor has suggested two weeks before protection is achieved.
3. You have been careful enough to go with double choices for three weeks.
4. The only unprotected sex you had was on (?)last reminder pill.
5. Next day you were back on active pills.

From the points mentioned 1 through 5, it is clear that you have followed the instructions in the best possible way.

If anything goes wrong in spite of having been careful, that could only be described as a medical misadventure. Please do not worry, it is extremely unlikely in your current scenario.

Hope your query is answered.
If you do not have any further queries, I request you to please close this thread.

Dr A Rao Kavoor