Taking Janumet 1000 and glyree for diabetic. Will it be safe to take protein shakes?

Aug 2012

I am diabetic I am taking Janumet 1000 and glyree one my BP is almost 90/135 blood sugar around 200 average. My age is 43 can i workout at gym besides aerobics. Is it ok for me to take protein shakes.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

The blood sugar of 200 average is not right for your age. Please keep the target as 150 mg/dl or HbA1c level of 7% where you will develop minimum complications of diabetes in future as you are young yet. So please discuss with your treating physician/ diabetologist about increasing the doses of Janumet or Glyree as here you have not mentioned frequency of medications and hence I cannot tell clearly how to tackle the sugar medications.

If you are working out well and have no kidney disorder due to diabetes then it is perfectly fine to take protein shakes if they are sugar free. If they are not sugar free then cut down your total meal calories by about 300 to 400 calories for 1 to 2 glasses of protein shakes (about 2 chapatis less). That will compensate for the sugar and protein part.

About blood pressure, please be informed for any person with type 2 diabetes, the target blood pressure is equal to or less than 135/85 mmHg. So make sure you restrict salt in you meals, exercise and then say after about 2 weeks check your BP again. If it is the same as now, then you will need medication named Ramipril or Telmisartan for the blood pressure.

So in short, 1. do not take average sugar 200 lightly as you are just 43 years
2. I assume you do not have any diabetes related complications and hence protein intake is fine and in fact good when you work out in gym. Prefer sugarfree supplies.
3. Watch blood pressure and do not ignore it as 'borderline' when it persists for a longer period.

I hope this helps. Take care.
Follow-up: Taking Janumet 1000 and glyree for diabetic. Will it be safe to take protein shakes? 6 hours later

Thanks a lot for answering my question. I am taking both the medicine twice a day after major meals. (L & D). Frankly speaking I am not taking any precautions with my meals and my medicine take is also not very regular as I travel a lot. I will keep check on my meals and take this medicine regularly and will be in touch with you again after two weeks with my reports.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 21 minutes later
Yes, please do pay attention as in this stressful life and world you can only help yourself and most importantly you have capacity to handle due to age factor. All the best.